Who is going to Fosdem 2019

FOSDEM is a free event for software developers to meet, share ideas and collaborate.
Every year, thousands of developers of free and open source software from all over the world gather at the event in Brussels.

App Inventor, the mother of all other builders will be present with a stand. I will be helping at the App Inventor stand and Evan Patton, lead developer of App Inventor, is coming from America to Belgium to be there also. So if you have time and want to meet, you are welcome to visit the App Inventor stand.

Thanks @Hossein for making an offline version of App Inventor to take with us in case the wifi malfunctions. :+1:

Just came back from Fosdem. Wow, what an experience. Talked with a lot of people about App Inventor. Met Evan Patton lead developer of App Inventor, Ghica an App Inventor power user and her husband also for the first time. Had a great time and a wonderful weekend. We will be there again next year.

Great, if you have time and desire, tell us more about your experience and especially about what was said about appinventor. Thank you,

We arrived at the university at 8:15 am on Saturday and setup the stand. We had made some posters to dress up the stand and Evan brought 1000 stickers with him. A few laptops, some monitors, Lego Mindstorms, Raspberry Pi and a Sparky robot completed it all.

From the first moment we were there we had a lot of visitors at the stand. A lot of users were surprised and had never heard of App Inventor. So we had a lot of telling and demonstrating to do. At the end of the first day almost all stickers were gone. :grin:

Visitors were impressed by the possibilities of App Inventor. We told them an IOS version is coming hopefully this year. There is also testing being done with a version were you can progam together just like in Google Docs when you can edit together. Also App Inventor is working on a version that supports Artificial Intelligence.

My son Bart and Evan Patton.

Ghica with a visitor.

We left at 6:15 pm and were invited by Evan for dinner as a thank you from MIT.

On sunday we arrived again at 8:15 am. We again had a lot of visitors but this day we also had a lot of visitors that try to learn coding to children.

https://hackerspaces.org/

A lot of visitors got a businesscard from Evan, next time he will have to bring more, just like stickers, flyers, etc.

On Sunday it stopped at 5:00 pm. We packed our things, said goodbye and went back to The Netherlands in our case. Evan returns to the States today.

We will be evaluating our visit to Fosdem in the next couple of months and will start making plans for next years Fosdem. It is certain we will be there next year.

In August the App Inventor Summit will be held at MIT in Boston. App Inventor is celebrating its 10-year anniversary. Evan invited us to Boston. Ghica and her husband are going and i will try to be there also with my son.

Thanks for sharing all this, it’s really very interesting. Thanks again

Here you can find the videos recorded at Fosdem. I don’t know if all the 2019 videos are already available.

https://video.fosdem.org/

This was the closing video of Fosdem. If you want to get a taste of how big Fosdem is you should watch it. Next year it will be the 20th year Fosdem is organised.

I will be going to MIT in August for the App Inventor Summit with my son. I am really exited. :sunglasses:

That’s awesome @Peter. BTW, Did the offline come-in handy?

The wifi was great at fosdem. The things we showed could be done with the online version. This way we had also access to the projects we had. Ghica showed the code for controling her Sparky! robot. But i was really grateful that you made it in case there wouldn’t be a good wifi connection.

http://www.squaringthecircles.com/ai2/