Quick Ebook Tutorial

This is a very small tutorial because there is little to say about it. Some users ask how to make an ebook with AppyBuilder and that is really simple.

You only need the following components.

Selectie_999(406)

You can get the TaifunTools extension here: https://puravidaapps.com/tools.php

And the following blocks. No fancy formula, just straight forward.

Selectie_999(405)

And then you have the following result

You can with the latest release also set a custom font for the titlebar.

The html-files use a small css file for formatting the text. But you can play with that.
Selectie_907

You can use the cheatsheet here for the icons:
https://fontawesome.com/cheatsheet

A little tip:
If you use an arrangement or use the webviewer at 100% or fill parent the sidebar will not show. There has to be some background available. So i set the webviewer at 95% width to make it work.

Thats it. I have added the aia also so you can play with it. The size is so big because of the image used.

LoremIpsum.aia (363.9 KB)

AppyBuilder Sidebar component
I can not see icon in my sidebar please help
Sidebar menu not working in Appu Builder
Invalid int: (build build build)
Menubar Is Not Working
Apps with lots of text
Block section not opening
.html file was not Access from Phone Store!
AppyBuilder Sidebar component
Sidebar not showing in project
I want to create a ebook but how?

is the ebok are uploaded to the appybuilder, so when a person download it, it came with the apk?

if so, can the apk be updated when i have another ebook that i want to put to the apk?

You can make an apk for every ebook you want to make. Is that what you mean?

no sir,

errr…

lets say today i have one ebook (say it’s ebook A)
and i make one apk that when it open, there’s a menu that contain one list with one item, and that item is ebook A.
wich when the user tap on it the ebook is open and the user can read it.

and then the next day i write another ebook (and it’s ebook B) and finish writing it the next week.

then i want to make that ebook B now appear on the same app that people already download it, but now have it show on the list from menu.
so now the user can read my second ebook, without having to download and install another app.

like the app can be update to download the second ebook

can that be done sir?

Yes, you can. Just change the webviewer url to a remote html files and it would be done instantly.

You can let the app to know if update/new chapter/new book is available using firebase, or just write a html file that contain updated book list.

is there any video tutorial to do that from piixiibomb here sir?

I updated the tutorial with the new sidebar component. There are some differences with the previous tutorial. You can see that with just two components, two sets of blocks, a bunch of html-files and a css file you can make your own ebooks.

Thanks for tutorial @Peter_Mathijssen :+1:

@Peter_Mathijssen Your tutorial is great; THANKS. just one suggestions. To make this work in Live Testing, the following adjustment would be needed - it uses a flag to switch from companion testing to prod.
If prod, then: file:///android_asset/01.html
else: file:///mnt/sdcard/AppInventor/assets/01.html

Also, we adjust the image size dynamically. So, your image can be smaller and it will be auto-adjusted.

Thanks

Thank you Hossein for your tips.

I made a quick ebook of the first 3 chapters of a Gutenberg text of my favorite bookcharacter Sherlock Holmes. Just some copy and past work.

alternatively you might want to use the PathToAssets method from the tools extension

Taifun

If you use the Taifun methode and if i use more logical names for the html files it can be made much simpler.

Selectie_999(405)

Thanks @Peter_Mathijssen, great job! :blush:

Updated the tutorial again with the new blocks and taifuntools extension in the aia.

What size should the image have?

I understood it adjusts itself. In my sample i used 720 x 405 pixels

Try with different sizes and see what happens.

is what I did try with various sizes but they are horrible, the only one that does not look so ugly is 1024 x 500 at 72 pixels per inch.

how many pages which i can add ?