A simple comment box

Hi

Anyone who has used drracket (racket) ide probably fell in love with lots of features that aren’t available in other programming languages…
For instance, the comment box

commentBox

It is very useful to section your programming area to accomplish your task in a systematic way…

But since I couldn’t find good sources (for total beginners) to create me own extensions… I would love if someone could do this for me…

thanks alot

see ABG’s suggestion here https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mitappinventortest/Lf0K7t40obo/R3I7M9jHBQAJ

Taifun

Thanks for your reply…
That is a solution … but one could also simply just use the comment option offered by clicking top left on a block…

but it doesn’t look nice

what I was thinking of was a comment box probably in the screen1 blocks which can be simply dragged to the coding area…

what I have in mind is to create separations between components plus adding detailed information of purpose and expected results…

No interest :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You’re asking for a fundamental restructuring of the way App Inventor’s user interface handles block management; I agree that this is a real issue… any significant development, especially since we’re forced to play all sorts of games to avoid multiple screens by hiding and unhiding layout elements (what a GIGANTIC PITA) and integrate them all onto a small number of screens, results in a completely disorganized mismash of blocks. This isn’t going to happen without massive thought and extensive lobbying from the user community.

Not really…
There is a big space in which we lay down blocks…
Having a simple comment box gives us the opportunity to divide the space in any manner, so to have a sort of separation…
We could separate buttons from functions, or could have in each separation a button and all variables and functions associated with it; plus a detailed comment in each box defining the purpose and expected result, which definitely makes it easier to maintain the app

I guess I’m not correctly visualizing what you’re asking for here, then. Could you create a visual mockup illustrating it?

Also, FYI, to my knowledge, there’s no ability to manipulate the UI via extensions. Am I correct in that, @Hossein?

something similiar to this

So, basically, it would just be another block on the screen, right? The moment someone hit “Clean up…” or “Arrange…” or “Sort…”, these blocks would be in the wrong place (along with all the blocks they refer to).

If you didn’t leave enough space between sets of blocks, and decided you needed more, you’d have to manually rearrange all the blocks, based on the way AI works today.

Yes… you are right…

Of course if it is possible, whenever a comment box is created that it is saved as a separation including all blocks under it. So whenever one cleans up or sort vertically/horizontally those separation should be conserved…

But actually that is more than what I want…